scalability

Post your questions and bug-reports about the audio/video streaming add-on based on Red5 Media Server.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

seanClusta

scalability

Postby seanClusta » 28 Jun 2010, 10:16

Hi,
I am thinking of buying SFS with RedBox as an all-in-one solution for a campaign we are working on.
The campaign will involve one to one video chats (a flash game involving live video) between multiple people simultaneously.
It's hard to predict the numbers of people involved right now but the campaign will be televised in the UK and could involve tens of thousands of people simultaneously (although this is unlikely, we need to account for it).

I have a couple of questions:

1. how many simultaneous connections can RedBox handle, is it unlimited in theory?
2. Could i scale up the system, i.e. have SFS sat on one server and a cluster of servers with RedBox on so i can scale up the number of users?

Thanks for your time.
Sean
Bax
Site Admin

Re: scalability

Postby Bax » 29 Jun 2010, 07:12

1. how many simultaneous connections can RedBox handle, is it unlimited in theory?

The RedBox integrates SmartFoxServer with Red5 Server. Red5 has no connections limitations, while SmartFoxServer is limited to the number of concurrent users you bought the license for. So SFS is the driver. Of course this is the theoretical number of connections. The real number of connections you can reach depends on different factors. We can discuss this as it regards SFS, but we are not able to make predictions on Red5. You have to gather informations on the web.

2. Could i scale up the system, i.e. have SFS sat on one server and a cluster of servers with RedBox on so i can scale up the number of users?

The RedBox was not developed with this in mind, so this is not possible. But the source code of the RedBox is publicly available, so maybe you can adapt it to your needs.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “RedBox”