4-way protected video chat

Post your questions and bug-reports about our audio/video streaming add-on based on Red5 Server.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

omnivibe

4-way protected video chat

Postby omnivibe » 28 Jul 2011, 11:49

Imagine we have any number of rooms on SFS which each allow a maximum of 4 users in the room.

Now, it would be great to let those 4 people see/hear eachother :)

With FMS- I think it's as simple as each person doing a NetStream.publish(), and NetStream.play()....

But I'd like to lock it so that only these 4 people can play eachother's streams...

Is this something RedBox would be able to do? Any best-practices ideas?

Also- how is RedBox performance vs. FMS?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 29 Jul 2011, 07:36

If you only allow 4 users in the Room, no one else can join it, so no one will be able to register to the net stream of the players inside (because the RedBox client doesn't know the streams IDs until you join the Room.

About the performance, the RedBox uses the Red5 server, so you should look for any comparison available on the web.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
omnivibe

Postby omnivibe » 31 Jul 2011, 05:23

Thanks... can you point to any large productions using this already?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 31 Jul 2011, 14:35

No sorry. Most of our customers do not let us know which projects they developed. The few who do, are added to our showcase.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
omnivibe

Postby omnivibe » 01 Aug 2011, 07:09

We're hopefully launching our product (tjandpals.com) in about 2-3 weeks... so if all goes smoothly, we'd love to let you know and be showcased, esp. as we grow (multiplayer capability is going to be a major marketing point for us.)

Anyway- I just saw in the docs that RedBox should, in theory, work perfectly with FMS!

Is this for real, any gotcha's we should be aware of before spending precious dev time testing the integration of FMS out?

The docs say that the only real difference is the custom app... is that Sources/Red5WebApp/com/smartfoxserver/redbox/Application.Java ?

From the looks of it, it really doesn't do much... I'd love some guidance on what it needs to do and, if possible, how to port it to FMS4 Streaming Edition :)
omnivibe

Postby omnivibe » 01 Aug 2011, 07:16

Seems like the extension needs to know red5Path as well... how (well) does that translate to FMS?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 11 Aug 2011, 12:47

We haven't tested the RedBox with FMS, but as you pointed out, the web app does nothing, so there should be no issues, as on the client side we use the standard Flash API.
As it regards the Red5 path, it is used to load the list of available videos for videoclip player applications. Inside that path, the RedBox Extension looks for the following folder: /webapps/SFS_RedBox/streams/
This is where clips are streamed from, or saved to in case of recording.
I think you should be able to either configure FMS to have a similar path for streams, or modify the path inside the RedBox Extension.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
omnivibe

Postby omnivibe » 11 Aug 2011, 12:50

Thanks! I actually saw that for my specific use case, which was only for live communication (no need to play pre-recorded streams etc.), there was no need to go through RedBox.

I did learn alot by looking at your AVCastManager and related classes... it helped me rip my own code apart and fix it.

Thank you :)

Return to “RedBox 2X”