Can't start Red5 server

Post your questions and bug-reports about our audio/video streaming add-on based on Red5 Server.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

flashvnn

Can't start Red5 server

Postby flashvnn » 19 May 2011, 10:29

i install redbox and place red5 server like image bellow

i click red5.bat and get error

How to fix it ?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 23 May 2011, 09:43

We tested the Red5 installation, and everything works fine.
What if you download and install Red5 from its website? Do you get the same error, or are you able to run it?
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
WhiteWidow

can't start red5

Postby WhiteWidow » 25 Aug 2011, 06:11

hello community

When I run the red5.bat to run the server red5, unlike the user 'flashvnn', I get a 'Bootstrap complete' after I run the bat file but the provided examples don't run after my red5 installation/bat-file-run so I guess my red5 server isn't running but I don't know, how do I check if it is running ? In the services like smartfox server ? Because I can see my SFS service running fine but I can't spot a red5 service running in my windows services. I installed my SFS as a service but I doubt this has anything to do with my red5.

I must point out that I am totally new to server managing and the process are still a bit confusing to me but I'm getting use to it :)

I'm running a xampp server, I have installed SFS2X correctly and tested it with the provided chat exemple and the other exemples.

I am not running the SmartFoxServerPro version, would that be my problem ? If I remember right, I read that redbox would work on any SFS server.

I appreciate any comments, if someone could point me to a mean to verify if my Red5 server is running properly.

I didn't went to red5 website to install their version since smartfox explicitly made a light version I thought I'd get away with that version, besides, as bax said and as I was sure to be the case, this light version of red5 must have been thouroughly tested to be working so I'm figuring the problem comes from behind the keyboard, me.

Take care all and happy serving :)
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 25 Aug 2011, 14:31

If you use SFS2X then you have to download the specific RedBox version from the S2 download page.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
WhiteWidow

can't start Red5

Postby WhiteWidow » 25 Aug 2011, 20:01

Hello Bax,

I downloaded SFS2X from this page http://www.smartfoxserver.com/2X/download.php and I got my RedBox from that same page, I presume it is the required version of Red5/RedBox to work with the SFS2X.

I have installed my RedBox folder in my Extensions folder of my SFS2X folder as required here http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/GettingStarted/redbox -- "Running the examples" --- 'install the RedBox Extension for SFS2X by copying the /Server/redBox folder from the RedBox package to your SFS2X/extensions folder;'.

I also have installed the Red5 folder in my SFS2X-RC1a folder so that it can be at the same level as my SFS2X folder wich also resides in the SFS2X-RC1a folder as required here http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/GettingStarted/redbox -- "Red5 installation" --- 'Make sure that the Red5 folder is at the same level of the SFS2X folder.' So I guess I am to understand that my Red5 folder must not be inside the SFS2X but rather one level up (SFS2x-RC1a) in order to be at the SAME level as my SFS2X folder. [or is it here that I am wrong ?]

I also have upgraded Red5 as required : "In case you want to upgrade Red5, make sure you copy the SFS_RedBox folder contained under Red5/webapps to the same location of the new Red5 folder."

Now I don't get an error when I run my Red5.bat file, as I said I get a "Bootstrap complet" message at the end and I don't know what this means and I just don't know if my Red5 server is working. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is not working correctly at the moment since the provided exemples won't start. What is going on when I try to start one of the exemple of Red5 is that the html page loads and I get a logging window but the login is grayed out and I can't use the exemple.

I was wondering if there was a clear way, a clear flag somewhere telling me that my Red5 server is effectivly working. I know I can see my SFS2x server is running when I explore my windows services but how do I check to see if my Red5 server is running ? Is the Bootstrap Complete message a good thing ? is my Red5 folder installed in the proper folder as I think it should be in order to be at the same level as my SFS2X folder ?

It seems a rather simple process but I can't get it to work properly. The canditate patch 3 upgrade of the SFS2X server went well too, it's only the Red5 server that is remaining in the fog.

My SFS2X server works just fine but not the Red5. I just don't know how to test my Red5 installation to pin point the problem. Or is the Red5 server working (though I seem to have no mean of being sure about it) but it is not properly configured and won't allow me to login properly with the given exemples. My SFS2X exemples works fine (chat n stuff) but not the Red5 exemples. They will load but the login remains in gray and I can't use the exemple.

Could you suggest me a pratical way to SEE with my eyes if the Red5 server is properly working ? Is the grayed out loaded exemple of Red5 a sign of misconfiguration of my Red5 server ?

I thank you a lot Bax for your time.

In the meanwhile, enjoy coding everyone.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 27 Aug 2011, 08:31

You say that you even can't login when you run the RedBox examples. This means that those examples are not able to connect to SFS. I believe that Red5 is working fine, you just are not able to connect to SFS. Solve this issue and the examples should work fine.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
WhiteWidow

Postby WhiteWidow » 27 Aug 2011, 17:47

Hello Bax

will do that then, I'll prolly try to install the original Red5 server version.

Like I said, I find it strange that the chat exemple they give with Smart Fox Server X2 actually works fine but the exemple they give with RedBox/Red5 installment won't work, so perhaps my Red5 server isn't intalled at the right place and it won't connect properly to SFS as you said. I'll keep working on it.

thanks for your time Bax, untill Next !
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 28 Aug 2011, 13:14

Maybe I haven't been clear. The problem doesn't seem to be the Red 5 installation. In fact, if you had a problem with Red 5, you would be able to login in the examples, but not establish an A/V connection.
Instead, from your description, it seems you are not even able to login, which is unrelated to Red 5 or the RedBox.
Check the client-side configuration files of the examples. Maybe you have a wrong server IP configured, and that's why you can't even connect and login.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
WhiteWidow

Red5 config

Postby WhiteWidow » 29 Aug 2011, 15:47

ok Bax,

I said I'd prolly go install the original version cause I'm sooo not use to set-up server that I thought I'd just try to find the 'easy install' process rather then to pine point where is my config problem. But I do wish to simply get away with the light version of Red5 SFS gives, so of course I'll keep reading and try stuff about my config for my actuall Red5 server :)
Later and have a good day !

Return to “RedBox 2X”