How hard is it to instantiate 2+ users on one map?

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

sciguy77

How hard is it to instantiate 2+ users on one map?

Postby sciguy77 » 15 Dec 2010, 01:33

Hey,

Not sure if there's a tut or this, but how difficult is it to let 2+ platers on one map (no lobby, just a connect button)?

Thanks,

Brennon
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 15 Dec 2010, 05:58

Check out the FPS example and/or Island demo!
sciguy77

Postby sciguy77 » 16 Dec 2010, 02:43

wow, I didn't realize that the FPS example was completely PvP, that's pretty cool. Can we expect to see a full tut on how this all works soon?

Is there a Unity-specific API to refer to?

Thanks
dragagon

Postby dragagon » 16 Dec 2010, 05:59

sciguy,

If you are interested, my blog has a series of tutorials. If you only want to learn about messaging between unity and smartfox and don't care about integrating with a web server and using symfony you can just read parts 2, 3, 4, and 8 and on. Ignore anything you see dealing with symfony unless you want to follow the entire tutorial to have a web application that interfaces with the game code to get the beginnings of what the micro market games have. Its written for the most basic beginner but it uses an object oriented design rather than just throwing the code together.

Part 1 can be found here

Christian
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 16 Dec 2010, 06:27

sciguy77 wrote:wow, I didn't realize that the FPS example was completely PvP, that's pretty cool. Can we expect to see a full tut on how this all works soon?

There is one coming next week (target date) that explains things in more detail - but its not a click here, drag there kind of tutorial. More of an overview of the main features. It does however take your completely through a single use case from click in one end to result comes back.

I should start a little sticky with 3rd party tutorials and resources! Cool stuff Christian
sciguy77

Postby sciguy77 » 17 Dec 2010, 03:33

There is one coming next week (target date) that explains things in more detail - but its not a click here, drag there kind of tutorial.

Don't worry, I'm not looking for a drag and drop. I don't need things spelled out excessively, just a list of classes and methods to call is what I'm looking for. I've done networking and lots of Unity before, just never together. :)

Looking forward to learning and keep up the great work,

Brennon

btw thanks for the links Christian![/quote]
dragagon

Postby dragagon » 17 Dec 2010, 04:48

No problem. Hopefully it helps people. If you already know alot of networking and are familiar with programming, I would say part 11, part 12, and part 13 would be of the biggest help when just wondering what functions you need to use, etc.

Return to “SFS2X C# API”