Can two clients communicate directly?

Post here your questions about the Flash / Flex / Air API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

jdx

Can two clients communicate directly?

Postby jdx » 25 Jan 2011, 10:12

Firstly, does AS3/Flash allow two clients (i.e browser-based Flash or AIR apps) to communicate directly using any method?

If they do, does that mean SFS client objects can talk directly to each other at all?

I've got a feeling this is not allowed, but it would be nice for a server to spawn 2-player games and avoid the extra overhead of everything going through a server if the game design doesn't necessitate it.
dingo

Postby dingo » 26 Jan 2011, 11:46

hi there

yes it's possible and you don't need SFS for it
check: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cirrus/

That's for instance how chatroulette is made.
jdx

Postby jdx » 26 Jan 2011, 12:44

Interesting. Does SFS have any support for this - if I have a SFS client-server application and want to let 2 clients "peel off", I'd rather not use multiple technologies.
dingo

Postby dingo » 29 Jan 2011, 11:02

SFS does not include anything to support p2p connections. Flash 10 has everything built in, also don't forget that cirrus is still in beta.
sHTiF

Postby sHTiF » 31 Jan 2011, 16:15

Yes it can be done pretty easily i did a video chat through it where clients log to cirrus to get their id and then log to sfs through which they can do the initial exchange of peer ids. Instead of using webservice for id exchange like the adobe cirrus example.

However as dingo said cirrus is still in beta and even if it works quite well it can't be used for commercial projects. Also keep in mind that you are storing stuff on adobe servers not to mention that it may change from day to day. :)

Another major thing is that it uses RTMFP protocol which is UDP based so its penetration through network is questionable and needs to be taken into account.
Pushing the limits of flash platform at http://blog.flash-core.com

Return to “SFS2X ActionScript 3 API”