SmartFoxServer 2X and Jelastic

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Bax
Site Admin

SmartFoxServer 2X and Jelastic

Postby Bax » 26 Jun 2013, 13:56

Jelastic is a PaaS offering specifically designed to automatically scale Java applications and allocate server resources required by applications on demand, so it is the perfect match for SmartFoxServer.

People at Jelastic published an interesting blog post showing how to rapidly setup a virtual environment and deploy SmartFoxServer 2X for testing and production. The whole operation takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Read it here: http://blog.jelastic.com/2013/06/20/sma ... velopment/
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: SmartFoxServer 2X and Jelastic

Postby Lapo » 27 Jun 2013, 07:49

We have conducted a series of tests using the Jelastic servers to see their scalability with SmartFoxServer 2X and we've been extremely pleased with both vertical and horizontal scalability.

In particular we have setup a small cluster of 3 machines dedicated to bombarding a single SFS2X instance with no particular fine tuning. Just the server out of the box and a little extra memory for the JVM (2GB).
We managed to connect 25K CCU and fire over 30K mesg/sec generating an 8Mbit/s IN and 32MBit/s traffic towards the server.

To our amazement the CPU usage rarely passed the 25% mark during the connection phase and the settled at around 13%

This means that you can easily run well over 100K CCU on a single cloud-based instance! Then add the limit-less capacity of the cloud to scale horizontally and you've got one killer solution for your multiplayer gaming!

The Dashboard during the test:

The Status of the server queues during the test:

Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
mstram

Postby mstram » 12 Jun 2014, 14:23

I read the blog post and signed up for a free trial account, hoping to test SFS2x.

Unfortunately the free/demo account is quite limited (can only install one existing demo app, no FTP etc).

The minimum sign up is $50, which I'm thinking of trying.

Are these guys the best option for hosting ?

According to their site, you deposit xxx $$, which gets debited according to your usage.

I'm not up to speed with cloud terminology / specs etc.

If I'm running SFS2x there at "minimum" settings for dev testing, any idea how long $50 would last ?

Mike
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 12 Jun 2014, 14:33

Hi Mike,
they should last quite some time. We also have a demo account that we use for testing. When we are done with a test session we can turn off the machines, they get "frozen" without loosing any content or settings and we can wake'em up again when we need to run a new test.

In 3 months of no activity for 3 virtual servers we have probably spent $2.50 for keeping them in frozen state.

The internal bandwidth is free, and for the rest you pay for how much network traffic you generate.

hope it helps
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

mstram

Postby mstram » 12 Jun 2014, 15:05

Hi Lapo,

Heh, dumb me, I just looked at my jelastic control panel again, and it shows you immediately all kinds of pricing info when you go into the "change environment dialog.

The minimum setting is 128meg memory, is that enough for the server + ??? how many clients. ?

If not, I guess I can increase the "cloudlets" while testing.

Where are you running your "live demos" from ?

What other hosting sites have you tested ?

Mike
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 12 Jun 2014, 15:39

[quote="mstram"
The minimum setting is 128meg memory, is that enough for the server + ??? how many clients. ?
[/quote]
I am not sure. It depends on how much RAM is free after the OS has booted up. The bare minimum for SFS is 32MB, it should handle a few hundred clients with that.

If not, I guess I can increase the "cloudlets" while testing.

Yes, that's very convenient.

Where are you running your "live demos" from ?

It's a physical server here in Italy.

What other hosting sites have you tested ?

Off the top of my head: Rightscale, Rackspace, Jelastic, Internap, Amazon... there might be more. They all work fine, it's just a matter of preference, features, and price.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

mstram

Postby mstram » 12 Jun 2014, 16:25

In the jelastic blog post, they show a "vds" button they used to setup SFS2x.

Is that because SFS2x is a "standalone" application?

In my free demo account there is no VDS button (I emailed them asking about it).

On your (presumably paid Jelastic account), is the VDS what you used to setup SFS ?

Can SFS2x run under Tomcat, Jboss .... etc ?

Mike
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 13 Jun 2014, 08:03

mstram wrote:In the jelastic blog post, they show a "vds" button they used to setup SFS2x.
Is that because SFS2x is a "standalone" application?

Yes, that's correct.

In my free demo account there is no VDS button (I emailed them asking about it).
On your (presumably paid Jelastic account), is the VDS what you used to setup SFS ?

Yes, it is paid :) Yes there is a VDS button.

Can SFS2x run under Tomcat, Jboss .... etc ?

It can run side by side not "under". SFS2X is a server application just like Tomcat and JBoss.
Additionally it comes with an Servlet container too (Jetty), so you can also serve static and dynamic content as well.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 13 Jun 2014, 08:03

By the way, we're working with the Jelastic team to provide a more integrated system for starting up SFS2X instances.
We don't have a release data yet, but we hope to be able to offer them pretty soon.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

meanvel

Postby meanvel » 01 Feb 2017, 05:42

So, how did things go with additional Jelastic integration? It would be unnecessary, but convenient.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 01 Feb 2017, 07:39

meanvel wrote:So, how did things go with additional Jelastic integration? It would be unnecessary, but convenient.

Take a look at this page: http://www.smartfoxserver.com/cloud/jelastic
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “SFS2X Questions”