openspace next release

Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 2.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

radiateur

openspace next release

Postby radiateur » 25 Oct 2012, 12:42

Is there an update planned for openspace (v3?) ? I'm asking this because my game engine combined with openspace v2 is about to be achieved, but i see that openspace 2 released in 2010 (2/3 years without a major update is a long life cycle for such a api/library suite as openspace).

And a new openspace could add new nice features that i could not have to develop right now myself (i'm thinking about map runtime edition, that would need a better system in openspace 2), so it would be a nice information for us.

Thank you.
Bax
Site Admin

Re: openspace next release

Postby Bax » 26 Oct 2012, 08:52

We don't have a new version planned for the near future, but that doesn't mean OpenSpace is an abandoned product. In fact we keep supporting it actively (version 2.0.4b was released recently). The truth is that OpenSpace is very stable and it rarely requires interventions to fix bugs.
On the enhancement side, we think today OpenSpace is still the best isometric engine for Flash multiplayer virtual worlds: it is fully-featured and it takes full advantage of the Flash Player (excluding the recent Stage3D addition, which would require a total rewrite of the engine from the ground up).
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
radiateur

Re: openspace next release

Postby radiateur » 26 Oct 2012, 09:31

Thank You Bax,

Indeed yes you're right, openspace is the best multiplayer iso engine i tested, also the most complete suite (with the map editor) that's why i used it.

But improvments are always possible : i specially think about end user map edition, collisions, and physics. So many features that could be better in a new version, or totally implemented in a new version.

But in a way it's a nice thing to know that i'll don't have to rewrite everything i did if a new version from scratch was released in the next months ;)

Thanks again,

Return to “OpenSpace v2 discussions and help”