Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 1.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

morsus

Postby morsus » 02 Nov 2008, 14:09

I've noticed there are specific sections for clothing (bust + legs). My question is: if I wanted to have an avatar change the number (5) on the shirt in the example, would I need a graphic for each possible number?

1. Shirt with 1
2. Shirt with 2
3. Shirt with 3
etc

It would be nice to implement a layered look, so I could just cover the layers, because adding a new shirt color to the mix would mean an additional 10 graphical elements. Then if I wanted different color numbers, and maybe long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, now you're looking at a lot of additional graphics.

I'm not a designer, so all of these graphical options may not be as daunting a task as it seems.

It also may end up adding too much overhead with layered (mostly unseen) graphical elements. Although you mention converting vector to bitmap on the OS faq, but that's for another post.

Thanks in advance.
Senshi

Postby Senshi » 02 Nov 2008, 21:46

Hey Morsus,

I've been wondering the same thing and was actually just about to make a topic for this. However, I would also like to know one other thing with it, which is whether or not it is possible to use MovieClips instead of images for the clothing, hair, etc. I hope you don't mind me asking it here, because it felt sort of pointless making another topic for something so similar ;)

~Senshi

PS: Even though I'm new as well, welcome on the forum xD
function signature():void{
if(currentsig == boring){
readervoteboring+=1;}
else if(currentsig == ok){
readervotekeep+=1;}}
public var readervoteboring:Number = 0;
public var readervotekeep:Number = 0;
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 03 Nov 2008, 08:32

How to create the avatar is left up to you, by creating your custom AvatarMovieClip class. We provided just a simple example, as everyone has different needs regarding the avatar.
Of course if you need to give your users a lot of freedom in customizing their avatar's look, you will have to fill the avatar with a lot of graphics (bitmaps or vectors (movieclips, for Senshi) or a mix of the two is again up to you.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Senshi

Postby Senshi » 11 Nov 2008, 11:18

Hey Bax,

thanks for your reply. However, I would like to maintain the structure it used now (graphics in folders getting dynamically loaded by direction (N, NE, etc.)) while using MovieClips. I tried replacing a png with a MovieClip but to no avail. However, even after removing a png from the library it still appeared in the game. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I exported the SWF to libraries and EditorData and saved the .fla.

~Senshi

readervoteboring+=1;}

readervotekeep+=1;}}

Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 11 Nov 2008, 15:04

If you still see the png that you removed, you are probably doing something wrong when exporting. You should double check.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Senshi

Postby Senshi » 12 Nov 2008, 13:59

You were right, I was =) In case someone else is as tired as I was, here's the answer:

Just removing the bitmaps is not enough. Every piece of clothing has it's own MovieClip with them still in it.

I can't believe how I missed that x.x Anyway, thanks for the help.

readervoteboring+=1;}

readervotekeep+=1;}}

Return to “OpenSpace v1 discussions and help”